Sunday, April 28, 2013

PERSPECTIVE: Amanda Palmer at Whidbey Island Winery

blp_amandapalmer_blog-4467
(Amanda Palmer rocking the uke at her private Whidbey Island Winery show. © 2013 Benjamin Luk.)

It was over a year ago that assistant Lauren Mulcahy first asked if I was interested in pitching in for Amanda Palmer's Kickstarter with her so we could go to a private house party where she'd be playing. Admittedly, I didn't know Amanda's music well, but I'd known her since The Dresden Dolls so I agreed. On April 23rd, Lauren and I hopped in a car and headed down to Whidbey Island Winery where a fellow Amanda fan named Zoe was hosting the show. There were ukuleles and cameras everywhere.

blp_amandapalmer_blog-4507
(Amanda also brought her friend, Jason Webley. © 2013 Benjamin Luk.)

From where I was sitting, I made do with a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM. The light was fairly good and it was a nice reminder of my roots; I'd first gotten into photography with the intent of shooting live music. Being limited in my lens choice was a great learning opportunity too. I'm getting more accustomed to packing lightly and creating great images while doing so. To the folks at Whidbey Island Winery, I'll be back. It'd be a beautiful place to shoot a wedding.

blp_amandapalmer_blog-4499
(Amanda pounding away on the keys. © 2013 Benjamin Luk.)

Benjamin Luk Photography is available for assignment at BenjaminLuk.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment